CCRM Regroup - Dr. Gustofson
My first regroup was with Dr. G at CCRM (via phone). It went fine. There was nothing surprising and I didn't learn anything I didn't already know.
- My mock cycle was not favorable
- He too, was shocked by my positive Beta 3 Integrin results
- We can move onto an FET with my next period
- We can do a low-dose stim cycle to see if that yields better results
- My chances of success are low, he does not believe my Ashermen's can get better than it is right now
- He isn't concerned about my TSH levels, rechecking those tomorrow
- "Cystic" uterus was just fluid, it can be aspirated prior to transfer.
- If my FET lining is looking too thin, I can convert to an IUI if I have less than 5 follicles (that shouldn't be a problem
- My risks are high for placenta accreta which could lead to a hysterectomy
- He does not recommend transferring more than 1 embryo for this reason, carrying twins could be a "disaster" for me
California Fertility Partners Consult - Dr. March
Later the same day, I had a call with Dr. March. He's one of the top 2 doctors in the country for Asherman's Syndrome.
- Actually believes my scarring came from my laporoscopy/hysteroscopy procedure last February when the doctor perforated my uterus. A common occurrence, but can sometimes cause problems, the D&C probably just exasperated the issue.
- Fluid in the uterus almost always means there is still scarring
- OBGYN's are like motherhood and apple pie with D&C's, "If an OBGYN was standing over my grandmother's grave, he would want to preform a D&C on her"? Strange way to put it, but it was funny.
- He was happy to hear I started the Trental/Vitamin E protocol
- Viagra is worthless, he's seen it work 0 out of 10 times
- It did sound like he was saying my uterus could use some additional "fixing".
He has a direction that he's leaning in my case. Unfortunately, CCRM never sent my medical records. He really wants to see those and will call me back once they've been reviewed.
So we have some decisions to make. Do I move forward with the FET right away? If Dr. March thinks that it's worth me coming to California, do we try that first? Do I do the FET then see Dr. March if it doesn't work? Obviously my next phone call with him will give me more information. But this is why I've been stumped on what to write about…because really, I'm not sure about anything right now.
Last week we were in Florida for vacation. My mother-in-law turned 65, and for her birthday, we spent the week with her. She lives there, so it's a nice way to get some beach time in, and get a visit in at the same time (without having to spend a lot of money, which is a plus when you're teetering on the edge of a gestational carrier).
Here are a few of my favorite pics from the week
It was a great trip. Maybe not the best vacation since it wasn't just T and I, but still, a really nice time away.
Sadly, I had hoped we'd be able to try on our own over vacation. Even when I wasn't having periods last fall, I was still ovulating. However, we prevented all these months because I didn't want to ruin my chances by getting another ectopic. Now, the one month I decide to go for it, I don't seem to be ovulating. No positive OPK's and my temps actually dropped this cycle from where they normally are. So no BBT confirmation either. Kind of a bummer.
And to a very special person that gave me such a wonderful gift this past week, you know who you are…I'm truly blessed to have this amazing place where I have met such strong, resilient, kind and loving women. I am thankful that I will never know what it's like to be alone in this journey.